Technical Operation Consultant - Smart Energy Code
Over the past few years, Gemserv has experienced significant growth due to winning new contracts and securing contract extensions with our existing clients. As a result, we are expanding and looking to employ a Consultant within our Smart Energy Code Technical Operations team. We are looking for someone who has sound knowledge of the technical aspects of smart metering, as well as stakeholder management skills.
The Smart Energy Code (SEC) underpins the smart meter rollout programme in Great Britain, and Gemserv provides the Smart Energy Code Administration and Secretariat (SECAS) service, so, if you enjoy working on a high-profile account in a challenging and ground-breaking sector, this is the place for you.
As a Consultant within our Smart Energy Code Technical Operations team, you will be working on one of our Major Accounts, in a team whose responsibility is, via the relevant committees, to ensure that the Smart Meter infrastructure is designed effectively, tested properly and working correctly, as defined by the SEC.
In your role you will support our Technical Sub-Committees:- the Technical and Business Architecture Sub Committee (TABASC); the Testing Advisory Group (TAG) and Operations Group (OPSG), by shaping the discussion, writing papers and leading projects and actions arising from monthly meetings. You will also liaise with the Data Communications Company (DCC), the Department for Business Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) and Ofgem, on matters relating to operational and technical aspects of the SEC.
You will work in a small team of consultants and analysts who carry out the day to day deliverables relating to the SEC Panel technical sub-committees, and you will also engage with technical experts across the business and the wider SECAS Team.
As a Consultant for Technical Operations you will be responsible for:
- Providing technical support to the Panel Sub-Committees (TABASC, TAG and the OPSG)
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with the Chairs of these committees
- Providing oversight and leadership on projects resulting from matters discussed
- Liaising with the Data Communications Company (DCC), the Department for Business Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) and Ofgem on the technical aspects of the SEC and representing those views at industry governance and DCC run forums
- Preparation and development of reports and technical papers for consideration by the sub-committees and the SEC Panel
- Developing an understanding of priorities and key issues for SEC Parties; engaging with Parties to develop potential changes to ways of working
- Active management of outstanding actions and issues relating to the technical Sub-Committees
- Quality review of Sub-Committee papers to ensure accuracy and consistency
- Identification and implementation of process improvements between SECAS and DCC
- Answering queries received through the SECAS Helpdesk.
We are looking for a self-starter who will not just follow, but who will drive the agenda moving forward as we support the industry in navigating its way through the complexity of the smart meter rollout.
Ideally, we are looking for candidates to have experience of or interest in the UK retail utilities industry, preferably electricity, gas or smart metering.
Successful candidates will also need:
- Have a background in SMART metering;
- Have the skills, knowledge and technical confidence to work with industry stakeholders, committees and chairs;
- Have a solid understanding of the technical architecture underpinning GB smart metering;
- Have exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal, able to understand and communicate complex issues and solutions to technical and non-technical stakeholders;
- Have strong client and stakeholder management skills;
- Have excellent planning and organisational abilities;
- Strive for excellence in their work and that of others, able to deliver high quality work, being methodical, diligent and paying attention to the detail;
- Be proactive in identifying and addressing the client’s requirements; and
- Be degree educated or have equivalent professional experience.
Upon employment, employees should also have a sound awareness of the Company's Information, Quality, Environmental and Energy Management Systems.
We are passionate about helping drive market transformation and the data revolution. We work right across our sectors, from government bodies to global blue-chip organisations and small independent companies.
The nature of what we do means we are very much a people business. The contribution every member of the team makes to our diverse range of experience, skills and personalities is valued.
Gemserv is an equal opportunities employer, we celebrate diversity and are committed to create an inclusive environment for all employees.
We invest heavily in learning and development to enable our people to develop skills and gain experience which will enhance career prospects for life. Many who started their careers with us have rapidly progressed to more senior positions.
At Gemserv no two days are the same, but we believe in a flexible approach to working which we know our employees value. That focus on encouraging a positive work/life balance extends to the many regular social events where employees get the opportunity to meet people from across the business and the wider industry in a more informal environment.
If you can see yourself working at Gemserv, then we would love to hear from you. Please submit your CV and application to us by clicking ‘Apply now’