Technical Manager (Electric Vehicles Charging Infrastructure)
Gemserv are working with an exciting and ambitious start-up business in the electric vehicle charge point market to recruit a number of new positions, the business has significant backing. The customers of this business are well-known Charge Point Operators and the business spends much of its time working with Local Authorities (at County, Borough and Unitary levels) to help accelerate their deployment plans for EV charging infrastructure to meet their resident’s needs.
The business believes that it can help revolutionise the on-street EV charging marketplace, combining the provision of power and data together as a cost-effective solution in urban environments. You’d be joining this exciting journey, as the business has just celebrated its first anniversary! As a start-up you’ll need to be able to deal with ambiguity, a dynamic environment (as the EV charging value chain is constantly changing) and a fast pace where there is a real focus on results, achieved as a team.
As the team is still forming, your ability to roll your sleeves up and dive in to help others outside of your main responsibilities will be welcomed. Having experience of the EV ecosystem and the EV charging market in particular is highly advantageous.
The business is building a culture that attracts and retains the best talent, who are passionate about making a difference to the climate. The business can enable the increasing uptake of EV’s by ensuring the correct infrastructure exists for everyone to be able to charge; reliably, conveniently, and affordably.
Whilst the business is a scale-up with c.15 employees, it is able to draw on the resources and support of both its parent company and an investment fund to deliver on its promise. With this support in place, the business already has a virtual team of over 40 people engaged to help deliver our business plans.
The role reports to the Product Lead and in this position, you will be responsible for the delivery of the EV charging network.
As Technical Manager you will play a key role in the success of the business you will provide technical assurance in the design, management and delivery of EV charge point installations, working closely with the strategic vendors and internal teams.
- Support and develop the standard installation model for EVCP deployment across numerous residential city sites. To include, procurement, installation, through to commissioning/go-live and basic fault finding.
- Work closely with the infrastructure construction team
- Delivering multiple projects simultaneously and within agreed Scope
- Project manage multiple new site installations.
- Write the sub-contractor work packages
- Manage sub-contractors and ensure they meet all compliance requirements.
- Manage supply chain and installation schedules to meet commercial requirements / deliverables.
- Provide technical support to CPO team as required.
- Ensure that all standards, policies, and environmental plans are compliant with legislation.
- Continually improve best practices across all areas of Project Management and the EV installation processes.
Key Success Factors
- Number of EVCP sites installed
- EVCP installation within budget
- Connected and commissioned EVCP online
- Budget control and reduction of ongoing costs
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION
- A higher qualification in Electrical, Electronic or Systems Engineering
- 18th Edition wiring regulations.
- Certified electrical engineer NICEIC or equivalent
- Knowledge of ‘The Code of Practice for Electric Vehicle Charging Equipment Installation’ (IET)
- Apprentice trained.
- A proven understanding of all H&S regulations, policies, standards, and legislation
- PRINCE or APM qualifications or equivalent beneficial
- A Full UK Driving Licence
- Extensive experience in the Installation, Maintenance and/or design of EV charging equipment with 5+ yrs “boots on the ground” experience
- Hands on experience with installation, commissioning, and servicing of EVCP’s.
- Experience of working with Local Authorities / installation in public areas (on-street)
- Experience setting people to work and full knowledge of associated risk assessment method statements.
- Experience within, Utility sector, Electrical installation company or as a mechanical & electrical contractor
- Experienced project manager (ideal prior responsibilities include; specification, planning and installation of charge points ranging from 350KW DC to 7KW AC solutions).
- Ability to project manage multiple sites simultaneously
- Excellent communicator
- Comfortable dealing with ambiguity
- Exhibits resilience, patience and understanding
- Strong organisational and teamwork skills
- Confident with using technology, apps, cloud computing and keen to learn more IT skills.
- Understands the principles of delivering projects using gantt charts, cost loaded schedules etc.
- A competitive base salary is on offer (up to £55,000 per annum, depending on relevant experience),
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holiday,
- Pension contributions,
- Electric Vehicles salary sacrifice scheme,
- Bonus plan worth up to 10% of your base salary,
- ...and numerous benefits.
The business is currently based in London (Zone 2) (but they are likely to move in 2021), and as with every other business today, much is being done from home. Whilst they expect that in the medium term, they’ll be able to get back in to the office, the view is that some level of remote working will remain in place for the long-term. They expect that most of the team will be back in the office 2-3 days a week and this role would be no different.