Smart Energy Code Consultant - Technical Operations
Over the past few years, Gemserv has experienced significant growth due to winning new contracts and securing contract extensions with our existing clients. As a result, we’re expanding and looking to employ a Consultant within our Smart Energy Code Technical Operations team. We are looking for someone who has a background in smart metering, a keen eye for detail and excellent communication skills.
The Smart Energy Code (SEC) underpins the smart meter rollout programme in Great Britain, and Gemserv provides the Smart Energy Code Administration and Secretariat (SECAS) service, so, if you enjoy working on a high-profile account in a challenging and ground-breaking sector, this is the place for you.
As a Consultant within our Smart Energy Code Technical Operations team, you will be working on one of our Major Accounts, in a team whose responsibility is, via the relevant committees, to ensure that the Smart Meter infrastructure is designed effectively, tested properly and working correctly, as defined by the SEC.
In your role you will support our Technical Sub-Committees:- the Technical and Business Architecture Sub Committee (TABASC); the Testing Advisory Group (TAG) and Operations Group (OPSG), by writing and reviewing papers and reports, managing processes and updates to technical documents and procedures, and owning actions arising from monthly meetings. You will also support projects and modifications to investigate and consider improvements to services, reporting and processes, engaging with a wide range of stakeholders and providing expertise to deliver industry requirements.
The Sub-Committees comprise of Energy Industry representatives such as Energy Suppliers and Network Operators, the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS), and the Data Communications Company (DCC), who maintain the technical infrastructure. You will work closely with the DCC in preparation for each meeting, and will also engage with the end users (e.g. Energy Suppliers) to ensure that their issues and needs are understood.
You will work in a small team who carry out the day- to- day deliverables relating to the SEC Panel Technical Sub-Committees, and you will also engage with technical experts across the business and the wider SECAS Team. The SECAS team itself comprises 30 motivated individuals who pride themselves on quality of delivery. We’ve fostered a collaborative and fun atmosphere, which has been essential in keeping the team motivated whilst remote working. Under normal circumstances we are predominantly office based, but anticipate more people taking advantage of flexible working in the future.
As a Consultant for Technical Operations you will be responsible for:
- Preparation and development of reports and technical papers for consideration by the Technical Sub-Committees (TABASC, TAG and OPSG)
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with the Chairs of these committees
- Collaborating with the Data Communications Company (DCC) on matters relating to the technical and operational aspects of the SEC
- Quality reviewing Sub-Committee papers to ensure accuracy and consistency
- Developing an understanding of priorities and key issues for SEC Parties (e.g. Energy Suppliers); engaging with Parties to develop potential changes to ways of working
- Providing oversight and leadership on projects resulting from matters discussed
- Managing processes such as entries onto the Central Products List, ensuring adherence to procedures, issues resolved, and procedures maintained
- Supporting the SEC Modification process, providing expertise and steer to industry on technical, operational and governance requirements
- Reviewing and presenting updates to SEC parties on industry reporting and performance
- Active management of outstanding actions and issues relating to the Technical Sub-Committees
- Identification and implementation of process improvements, including digitalisation
- Answering queries received through the SECAS Helpdesk.
We are looking for a self-starter who will not just follow, but who will drive the agenda moving forward as we support the industry in navigating its way through the complexity of the smart meter rollout.
The successful candidate will:
- Have a background in SMART metering
- Have the skills, knowledge and technical confidence to work with industry stakeholders, committees and chairs
- Have a solid understanding of the technical architecture underpinning GB smart metering
- Have exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal, able to understand and communicate complex issues and solutions to technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Have strong client and stakeholder management skills
- Have excellent planning and organisational abilities
- Strive for excellence in their work and that of others, able to deliver high quality work, being methodical, diligent and paying attention to the detail
- Be proactive in identifying and addressing the client’s requirements
- Be degree educated or have equivalent professional experience
Upon employment, employees should also have a sound awareness of the Company's Information, Quality, Environmental and Energy Management Systems.
WHAT WE OFFER
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- Profit related Bonus (discretionary)
- Reward and recognition schemes
- Flexible working
- Private Bupa healthcare
- Life Assurance (up to 4 times annual salary)
- Matched pension contributions
- Season Ticket Loan
- Cycle to work scheme
- Buy and Sell annual leave
- Reimbursement of eye test and up to £50 towards glasses or contacts
- Corporate gym rates
- Yoga sessions
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Summer and Christmas parties, along with monthly Gembar
We are an expert provider of professional services in a world driven by data and technology. We work across various sectors, from government bodies to global blue-chip organisations and small independent companies.
Due to the nature of what we do, we are a people business. The contribution from every member of the team expands our workforce’s diverse range of experience, skills and personalities – each individually valued.
Gemserv is an equal opportunities employer, we celebrate diversity and are committed to create an inclusive environment for all employees.
We heavily invest in the learning and development opportunities, enabling our people to develop skills and gain experience, which will enhance career prospects for life. Many who started their careers with us have rapidly progressed into more senior positions.
At Gemserv no two days are the same, but we believe in a flexible approach to working which we know our employees’ value. That focus on encouraging a positive work/life balance extends to the many regular social events where employees get the opportunity to meet people from across the business and the wider industry in a more informal environment.
Due to Covid-19 restrictions, employees are currently working from home.
If you can see yourself working at Gemserv, then we would love to hear from you. Please submit your CV and application to us by clicking ‘Apply now’