Smart Energy Change Analyst
Gemserv has been providing the Smart Energy Code Administration and Secretariat (SECAS) service on the energy industry’s behalf since 2013. The Smart Energy Code (SEC) underpins the smart meter rollout programme in Great Britain, an area which continues to provide challenging and stimulating work. We are looking for a Change Analyst to join us who has good knowledge of the smart metering arrangements.
This role sits within the SECAS Change Management team, whose responsibility is to drive changes to the SEC and smart meter infrastructure, working across the energy industry to do so. You will work as part of a team of change analysts and will regularly engage with technical and regulatory experts across the wider SECAS team.
You will be responsible for progressing a portfolio of proposed changes (referred to as ‘modifications’) to the SEC. This will involve working with the energy industry to: identify problems; develop requirements, business cases and solutions; assess and research the impacts of changes; and communicate the outcomes to key stakeholders. You will manage industry consultations and seek approvals from the SEC Committees, and, once approved, you will be responsible for the implementation of changes through Releases. Key stakeholders you will work with include SEC Parties (including Energy Suppliers, Network Operators and Equipment Manufacturers), the Data Communications Company (DCC), the Office of Gas and Electricity Markets (Ofgem), the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS) and the SEC Panel. The role will also involve chairing industry meetings and leading on other work streams. Excellent business analysis, project management and communication skills are therefore required.
The successful candidate will need to understand the GB smart metering arrangements, and the governance and technical arrangements underpinning these. We are therefore looking for someone who has worked within the smart metering sector. The successful candidate will be highly organised and able to work independently, taking responsibility for project deadlines. They will be able to proactively research the background to an issue, identify the root cause of problems and appropriate solutions, and be able to translate technical information into Plain English.
The SECAS team itself comprises over 30 motivated individuals who pride themselves on quality of delivery while also fostering a collaborative and fun atmosphere. We operate a hybrid working approach with a mix of office and remote working, with the team expected to be in Gemserv’s London office for part of the week.
Reporting to the Modifications Manager, the specific duties of the role will include but are not limited to:
- Managing proposed changes (modifications) through the process from inception to decision by creating, adapting and executing project plans
- Facilitating discussions with the Proposer of each modification, the industry and third-party providers to understand the root cause of issues, identify business requirements and develop appropriate solutions
- Researching the background and wider industry developments to develop a holistic understanding of each modification
- Scrutinising the impacts and costs of each modification and developing the business case for change
- Preparing the changes to the SEC to deliver the agreed solution(s)
- Reviewing and responding to industry consultation responses
- Preparing a range of reports and supporting material that cover the details, discussions, business case and recommendations for each modification
- Presenting the findings and recommendations for each modification to the SEC Panel, Change Sub-Committee, the Change Board and other Sub-Committees
- Managing industry stakeholders and governance and delivery bodies to ensure the successful delivery of approved changes
- Liaising with and presenting to other industry stakeholders or forums, including regulatory, settlement and governance bodies
- Chairing and facilitating industry meetings to discuss and develop modifications
- Building and maintaining strong client and customer relationships, providing friendly and reliable expert advice to clients on industry change and the SEC processes
- Leading on other work areas as directed by the Change Delivery Manager or the Modifications Manager
- Continuously improving the processes and products of the team
Candidates must have a good understanding of the smart metering arrangements, and the governance and technical arrangements underpinning these, having worked in the energy/smart metering sector for at least two years. They should also be educated to degree level.
In addition, successful candidates will:
- Have excellent numerical, written and verbal communication skills
- Be able to comprehend and communicate complex issues, solutions and arguments to technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Have excellent planning and organisational abilities, able to manage their time, and be adaptable to varying workloads and changing priorities
- Have experience of working with and managing third party providers
- Be comfortable working to targets and have a systematic approach
- Be comfortable with challenging views and assumptions to understand the root cause of an issue
- Strive for excellence in their work, with exceptional attention to detail and a high focus on quality
- Be a fast learner, able to assimilate and understand new information and subject areas in a short space of time, and pick up new processes and ways of working quickly
- Be able to chair meetings and effectively facilitate members’ debate and discussions
- Be a team player, able to work as part of a team and support colleagues, with good interpersonal skills
WHAT WE OFFER
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- Profit related Bonus (discretionary)
- Reward and recognition schemes
- Flexible working
- Private Bupa healthcare
- Life Assurance (up to 4 times annual salary)
- Matched pension contributions
- Season Ticket Loan
- Cycle to work scheme
- Buy and Sell annual leave
- Reimbursement of eye test and up to £50 towards glasses or contacts
- Corporate gym rates
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Summer and Christmas parties, along with monthly Gembar
We are an expert provider of professional services in a world driven by data and technology. We work across various sectors, from government bodies to global blue-chip organisations and small independent companies.
Due to the nature of what we do, we are a people business. The contribution from every member of the team expands our workforce’s diverse range of experience, skills and personalities – each individually valued.
Gemserv is an equal opportunities employer, we celebrate diversity and are committed to create an inclusive environment for all employees.
We heavily invest in the learning and development opportunities, enabling our people to develop skills and gain experience, which will enhance career prospects for life. Many who started their careers with us have rapidly progressed into more senior positions.
At Gemserv no two days are the same, but we believe in a flexible approach to working which we know our employees’ value. That focus on encouraging a positive work/life balance extends to the many regular social events where employees get the opportunity to meet people from across the business and the wider industry in a more informal environment.
If you can see yourself working at Gemserv, then we would love to hear from you. Please submit your CV and application to us by clicking ‘Apply now’