Senior Data Engineer
Gemserv is constantly looking ahead to ensure we continue to deliver exceptional service in a rapidly changing world. Our business is evolving, but we remain clear about where we want to be and how we want to get there. We are looking for an ambitious and enthusiastic Senior Data Engineer to join our Data and Analytics team.
As a Senior Data Engineer you’ll help Gemserv and our clients deploy data pipelines and processes in a production-safe manner, using the latest technologies as well as develop a DataOps culture.
You’ll work in a fast moving, agile environment, within multi-disciplinary teams, delivering modern data platforms into various organisations.
You’ll get to work with some of the brightest and best in the industry on some of the most exciting data challenges.
We aim to leveraging the latest cloud tools and technologies to build scalable, reliable, and securable data platforms at the enterprise level.
We are looking for a Senior Data Engineer to lead the data warehouse and data lake related projects. This is a fast-paced and dynamic work environment with ever changing needs and explorative projects.
- Liaise with data analysts and decision-makers such as industry experts and business analysts to gather and analyse the data requirements
- Design, build, refractor and optimise various data pipelines required for the data lakes and data warehouse
- Design and implement various data models to ensure the data integrity, ease of data access and for better query performance
- Design, manage and implement security permissions and roles to ensure data is appropriately segregated, protected and implementing the principle of least privilege
- Implement various data quality checks to ensure accuracy, completeness, consistency, timeliness, and reliability of the data
- Support solution design and estimation activities including bid preparation and live impact analysis
- Setup, configure and manage cloud resources to provide a performance and cost optimal service for different workloads
- Provide guidance and mentorship to other members of the team
You’ll have the expertise and confidence to work collaboratively with engineers, architects, subject matter experts and business analysts in multi-disciplinary teams, and have demonstratable experience in several of these areas:
- Great interpersonal, relationship building and influencing skills
- Project management, execution, and drive to get things done
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and communication skills
- Excellent stakeholder management skills
- Experience of performance coaching and management of other data engineers
- Passionate about learning new and cutting-edge technologies
- Demonstratable experience building custom data pipelines preferably using Python and SQL
- Azure (or AWS) data services experience (e.g. Data Factory, Synapse, Redshift, Glue, Athena etc.)
- Databricks or Apache Spark.
- Experience with data lake storage like S3 and ADLS as well as tools and techniques to manage them
- Designing appropriate data models for different use cases
- Expert knowledge of data warehouse principles and methodologies
- Data warehouse technology like Snowflake, SQL data warehouse / Synapse analytics, Redshift etc.
- Expert in writing complex SQL queries
- Implementing data protection and privacy patterns like anonymisation, pseudonymisation, obfuscation
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines / DevOps / DataOps and infrastructure as code
- Software development life cycle and practices such as coding standards, code reviews and version control using Git
- Experience in administration of cloud resources such as resource groups, storage accounts, compute clusters etc.
- Stream, queue, or event processing technologies such as Kafka, Kinesis, Event Hub etc.
- AWS or Azure Certifications –Solution Architect, Developer, Data Analytics or equivalent
Nice to have:
- Data cataloguing and other metadata tools
- At least one distributed NoSQL database (e.g. Cassandra, Neo4j, DynamoDB).
- Knowledge about streaming applications
- Exposure to any BI, analytics or data science tools
- Designing and building data services APIs and master/reference data solutions
- Data governance and data quality frameworks and tools
Upon employment, employees should also have a sound awareness of the Company's Information, Quality, Environmental and Energy Management Systems.
WHAT WE OFFER
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- Profit related Bonus (discretionary)
- Reward and recognition schemes
- Flexible working
- Private Bupa healthcare
- Life Assurance (up to 4 times annual salary)
- Matched pension contributions
- Season Ticket Loan
- Cycle to work scheme
- Buy and Sell annual leave
- Reimbursement of eye test and up to £50 towards glasses or contacts
- Corporate gym rates
- Yoga sessions
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Summer and Christmas parties, along with monthly Gembar
We are an expert provider of professional services in a world driven by data and technology. We work across various sectors, from government bodies to global blue-chip organisations and small independent companies.
Due to the nature of what we do, we are a people business. The contribution from every member of the team expands our workforce’s diverse range of experience, skills and personalities – each individually valued.
Gemserv is an equal opportunities employer, we celebrate diversity and are committed to create an inclusive environment for all employees.
We heavily invest in the learning and development opportunities, enabling our people to develop skills and gain experience, which will enhance career prospects for life. Many who started their careers with us have rapidly progressed into more senior positions.
At Gemserv no two days are the same, but we believe in a flexible approach to working which we know our employees’ value. That focus on encouraging a positive work/life balance extends to the many regular social events where employees get the opportunity to meet people from across the business and the wider industry in a more informal environment.
Due to Covid-19 restrictions, employees are currently working from home.
If you can see yourself working at Gemserv, then we would love to hear from you. Please submit your CV and application to us by clicking ‘Apply now’