Senior Consultant Strategy
Are you looking for an opportunity to make an impact on some of the most dynamic projects taking place across the broader energy sector? Do you want to work in an environment where you are supported to realise your ambitions to take your career to a higher level?
Gemserv has experienced significant growth in recent years, winning new contracts and seeing our role on existing ones extended. We have ambitious plans for the future and are now looking to strengthen our Strategy team by employing a Senior Consultant.
Against this background, we are seeking a Senior Consultant to join us to help influence and shape our future; to identify opportunities for Gemserv; and help it avoid external risks that might impact its business. This is largely an external facing role, influencing and shaping strategy by critically assessing and modelling external market and competitive opportunities. As such, while based at Gemserv’s London city office, there will be some traveling involved in order to attend key meetings, to influence change and deliver positive outcomes. This could involve attending evening events to gather intelligence or contribute to debates. In addition, responsibilities extend to line management; providing mentoring and support to more junior staff; leading on key pieces of work; and undertaking briefings to Senior Executives.
Report to the Head of Strategy to help shape/deliver the Departmental Plan;
Help to shape thought leadership consistent with Gemserv’s strategic direction;
Undertake and lead on impact assessments and opportunity assessments;
Shape ideas that help develop business opportunities;
Identify opportunities and own/manage the transition of the concept into a viable revenue stream (e.g. business plan creation and implementation);
Produce documents and articles that are compelling and communicate complex issues and ideas, simply and effectively;
Represent Gemserv at external fora and events, conferences and seminars, including presenting at external conferences;
Support other departments on a consultancy basis assignment from time to time as directed;
Deliver presentations to internal stakeholders, including the Senior Management Team and the Executive Team;
Take on a leadership role for strategic work/projects, e.g. project management or workstream lead; and
Line management of 1 staff member.
For this role, we are interested to hear from people who have experience of one or more of the following areas:
- Strategy development;
- Market design and governance;
- Translating market trends into business opportunities;
- Transitioning opportunities into revenue streams;
- Data analytics and modelling; and/or
- Economic and statistical appreciation.
Combined with experience of, or a keen interest to learn about, one or more of:
- Smart energy;
- Market based environmental schemes;
- Data protection and information security;
- Internet of things/connected devices; and/or
- Electric vehicles and smart road infrastructure.
Successful candidates will have demonstrable skills of the following:
- Networking, e.g. have a credible, externally focused, stakeholder track record that they can bring to bear within critical debates to help shape the future business/commercial landscape;
- Initiative, e.g. operate under their own steam (taking direction on substantive strategic aspects), grasp new concepts quickly and translate these into actions which they then own or assign;
- Communication skills, e.g. communicate complex ideas in a succinct and compelling manner;
- Influencing and persuading skills, e.g. coordinate various audiences, using sound reason-based judgements, delivered in a manner that is sensitive to political and commercial interests;
- Critical assessment, e.g. analytical capability;
- Business acumen, e.g. commercially astute, i.e. can interpret financial statements and understands company constructs (e.g. roles of Board, Exec, Charity etc);
- Financial modelling capability, e.g. cost/benefit analysis;
- Management abilities, e.g. coordinating outputs, stakeholder management, line management; and
- Innovative and curious, e.g. passion for innovation and appreciation of disruptive technologies shaping the markets.
Please set out evidence of how you meet the skills and experience requirements of the role in your application.
We are passionate about helping drive the energy market transformation and data revolution. We work right across our sectors, from government bodies to global blue-chip organisations and small independent companies.
The nature of what we do means we are very much a people business. The contribution every member of the team makes to our diverse range of experience, skills and personalities is valued.
We invest heavily in learning and development to enable our people to develop skills and gain experience which will enhance career prospects for life. Many who started their careers with us have rapidly progressed to more senior positions.
At Gemserv no two days are the same, but we believe in a flexible approach to working which we know our employees value. That focus on encouraging a positive work/life balance extends to the many regular social events where employees get the opportunity to meet people from across the business and the wider industry in a more informal environment. We also offer an attractive package of benefits in addition to highly competitive salaries including bonus scheme, pension and healthcare, season ticket loans, discounted gym membership, Cycle to Work scheme and more.
If you can see yourself working at Gemserv, then we would love to hear from you. Please submit your CV and application letter to us.