Principal Energy Consultant
Are you a leader looking to make a positive impact on some of the most high-profile projects taking place across the broader energy sector?
Do you want to work for a dynamic company that really values inclusive leadership and provides significant opportunities for you to take your career even further?
Gemserv has experienced significant growth in recent years, winning new contracts and seeing our role on existing ones extended. We have ambitious plans for the future and are now looking to strengthen our Energy Consulting Practice by employing a Principal Consultant.
We are currently looking to recruit a passionate consultant to work within our growing Energy Practice. The Practice works across the energy, smart, environmental and low carbon sectors as we support the journey to Net Zero. We work with our clients as they navigate immense changes in the retail energy markets, providing solutions, insight, assurance and wider support and advice. This important role often involves engaging experts from across the company to assemble propositions and deliver practical solutions through assignments for our clients – which are led by members of the team.
This role also supports business development, developing white papers and thought leadership to support service developments. Successful candidates will be expected to network, build and manage client and stakeholder relationships and drive sales.
Candidates wishing to apply for this role must have extensive consulting experience, outstanding self-management skills and ability to build strong stakeholder relationships.
Applying UK energy (electricity and/or gas) industry knowledge around smart, code governance, market design, supplier management to a range of assignments;
- Providing insight and expertise into consultation responses and thought leadership through analysing and interpreting information;
- Supporting Gemserv's Business Development activities e.g. through identifying opportunities, driving sales, drafting tenders' responses and providing technical input Project managing or leading work streams for a variety of energy industry consulting projects;
- Networking and building relationships with internal and external stakeholders in the energy industry to strengthen Gemserv's position as knowledge expert;
- Developing and maintaining effective relationships with current and potential client contacts;
- Contributing to Gemserv's strategic objectives and the Energy Practice's targets; and
- Operating and delivering within budget and timescales parameters, applying appropriate project management methodology;
- Effectively operating in matrix management structure, including direct line management, development of junior team/project team members and supporting wider resourcing activities within the Practice.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following skills, knowledge, and experience:
Experience and Knowledge
- Strong and demonstrable knowledge in the Energy sector. This could include smart metering and smart technologies, aspects of digital transformation, the intersection of low carbon technologies and retail energy, distribution system operator and retail and wholesale market dynamics. You may also have knowledge where low carbon technologies meet the retail energy sector, such as retail offerings, time of use pricing, asset rental models etc.
- Comfortable with the consulting sales process - from building relationships with clients, spotting opportunities and developing and offering solutions to client problems, to developing bids and pitching.
- Comfortable with the consulting delivery process – such as managing client expectations through delivery, applying basic project management, reporting and forecasting principles and managing delivery in a complex, multi-stakeholder environment
- Proven track-record of management consulting in the energy sector, comfortable with ambiguity and experienced in solving problems by applying tools and frameworks
- An understanding of the commercial, regulatory and policy environment in which utilities operate and experience of managing change within it.
- Experience in building and managing client and stakeholder relationships, including key internal and external stakeholders
Skills and Qualities
- Understanding of the consulting toolset such as SCQA, MECE and change management
- Appreciation and understanding of managing client expectations towards delivery
- Outstanding organisational and planning skills and attention to detail in high-pressure and tight deadline driven environments;
- Strong self-management and self-motivation skills;
- Excellent, relevant and timely written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent relationship management skills;
- Ability to anticipate and address problems at an early stage;
- Ability to analyse opportunities, risks & issues on their feet;
- Commercial awareness including proposing & business opportunities and driving sales, identifying and managing risks to project delivery, effectively conveying and promoting the Company's message;
- Experience of managing workload and multiple priorities to meet deadlines;
- Flexibility and adaptability to regularly react to changing demands and needs of the industry.
Upon employment, employees should also have a sound awareness of the Company's Information, Quality, Environmental and Energy Management Systems.
WHAT WE OFFER
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- Profit related Bonus (discretionary)
- Reward and recognition schemes
- Flexible working
- Private Bupa healthcare
- Life Assurance (up to 4 times annual salary)
- Matched pension contributions
- Season Ticket Loan
- Cycle to work scheme
- Buy and Sell annual leave
- Reimbursement of eye test and up to £50 towards glasses or contacts
- Corporate gym rates
- Yoga sessions
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Summer and Christmas parties, along with monthly Gembar
We are an expert provider of professional services in a world driven by data and technology. We work across various sectors, from government bodies to global blue-chip organisations and small independent companies.
Due to the nature of what we do, we are a people business. The contribution from every member of the team expands our workforce’s diverse range of experience, skills and personalities – each individually valued.
Gemserv is an equal opportunities employer, we celebrate diversity and are committed to create an inclusive environment for all employees.
We heavily invest in the learning and development opportunities, enabling our people to develop skills and gain experience, which will enhance career prospects for life. Many who started their careers with us have rapidly progressed into more senior positions.
At Gemserv no two days are the same, but we believe in a flexible approach to working which we know our employees’ value. That focus on encouraging a positive work/life balance extends to the many regular social events where employees get the opportunity to meet people from across the business and the wider industry in a more informal environment.
Due to Covid-19 restrictions, employees are currently working from home.
If you feel that you fit the above requirements and would like to hear more about being part of a growing organisation, then we would love to hear from you. Please submit your CV and application letter to us by clicking ‘Apply now’