The Sustainable Energy Association (SEA) is a member-based industry body. In a world of finite resources, the SEA exists to help create living and working spaces fit for future generations.
Our work seeks to align the interests of business, politicians and consumers to make this a reality, supporting improvements in public health, increasing national employment and generating sustainable economic growth.
We are constructive, collaborative and committed to achieving our vision, by ensuring that buildings are energy efficient, net zero-carbon, warm and healthy.
We are looking to recruit a new Policy Advisor. The role sits within a small, dynamic and impactful team. Reporting to the Chief Executive of the SEA, the successful applicant will be instrumental in shaping energy policy by providing objective, evidence-based policy positions which influence how we think about, generate and use energy.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Monitoring for relevant updates in policy and regulation.
- Providing SEA members with information and advice
- Building strong relationships with key decision makers across industry, local and national government.
- Liaising with policy makers to develop trusted relationships, inform policy development and create favourable changes.
- Preparing and submitting responses to Government and Industry consultations in collaboration with members.
- Writing reports on areas of thought leadership.
- Attending industry meetings, roundtables and workshops.
- Presenting at industry events and conferences.
- Leading industry projects on behalf of the SEA.
Knowledge and skills:
- Educated to degree level, first or 2:1 in a relevant subject.
- Expert knowledge in Energy efficiency, heat and building policy.
- Knowledge of government processes and public affairs.
- Ability to develop objective and evidence-based positions on policy.
- Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise and meet tight deadlines.
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills and be confident at liaising with a wide range of stakeholders, including parliamentarians, civil servants and industry leaders.
- Be able to translate complex technical and policy issues into easy to understand information.
- Be able to build up a high profile in a short period of time.
- Share a passion for improving the built environment, addressing climate change, protecting the environment and transitioning to a low carbon future.
- Highly self-motivated and flexible.
- A team player committed to working collaboratively.
The role will be based in Birmingham, but working out of the London office is also possible. The role usually involves some UK travel with occasional overnight stays.
Upon employment, employees should also have a sound awareness of the Company's Information, Quality, Environmental and Energy Management Systems.
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- Profit related Bonus (discretionary)
- Reward and recognition schemes
- Flexible working
- Private Bupa healthcare
- Life Assurance (up to 4 times annual salary)
- Matched pension contributions
- Season Ticket Loan
- Cycle to work scheme
- Buy and Sell annual leave
- Reimbursement of eye test and up to £50 towards glasses or contacts
- Corporate gym rates
- Yoga sessions
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Summer and Christmas parties
The recruit will be employed by Gemserv, an expert provider of professional services in a world driven by data and technology, who provide secretariat to the SEA.
Due to the nature of what we do, we are a people business. The contribution from every member of the team expands our workforce’s diverse range of experience, skills and personalities – each individually valued.
Gemserv is an equal opportunities employer, we celebrate diversity and are committed to create an inclusive environment for all employees.
We heavily invest in the learning and development opportunities, enabling our people to develop skills and gain experience, which will enhance career prospects for life. Many who started their careers with us have rapidly progressed into more senior positions.
At Gemserv, we believe in a flexible approach to working which we know our employees’ value. That focus on encouraging a positive work/life balance extends to the many regular social events where employees get the opportunity to meet people from across the business and the wider industry in a more informal environment.
Due to Covid-19 restrictions, employees are currently working from home.
If you can see yourself working in the Sustainable Energy Association, then we would love to hear from you. Please submit your CV and application to us by clicking ‘Apply now’