Health and Safety Advisor (12 Month Fixed Term Contract)
Over the past few years, Gemserv has experienced significant growth due to winning new contracts and securing contract extensions with our existing clients. As a result, we are expanding and looking to employ a Health & Safety Advisor to work in our London office to support an active and expanding IT Programme for a key client.
We are looking for a motivated and well-organised individual, to deliver exceptional service to our Key Client. As a Health and Safety Advisor within the Team you will coordinate the activities and actions related to the implementation of ISO 45001 Occupational Health and Safety. You will also be responsible for regular reporting of risks and progress to their Board on regular basis. The candidate will be deadline driven, with the ability to prioritise own work and maintaining quality at all times.
Reporting to a management team, specific duties include:
- Set direction for effective health and safety management and appropriate workplace wellbeing programmes
- Review and develop all aspects of the Company’s health, safety and wellbeing policies and activity, and ensure that it is implemented consistently across the organisation.
- Monitor, evaluate and review existing, new and upcoming Health and Safety legislation and ensure that the Company has systems and procedures in place to meet legal compliance and other requirements
- Work proactively with the Company Board and other key staff to establish and maintain a programme of continuous improvement in the management of health, safety and wellbeing within their areas of responsibility.
- Ensure that rigorous risk assessment and incident management systems are in place and followed across the organisation
- Assisting and Supplying information for contractor and supplier contracts;
- Devise, develop and monitor effective Risk Assessment management strategies and make recommendations on the implementation of these strategies
- To set out robust H&S framework in such a way as to ensure, so far as is practical, that people not in direct employment are not exposed to risks to health or safety.
- Develop a framework for Technical Solution Risk Management and ensure an assessment has been undertaken to identify any hazards associated with installation and use. Also including entire lifecycle of the Company’s activities.
- Liaise with range of third parties and contractors on health and wellbeing issues particularly ensuring that they is appropriate control, governance and reporting of their external activities
- Oversee and undertake Health and Safety audits and due diligence where appropriate and ensure an action plan with SMART objectives is established to address issues identified.
- Coach and mentor the Health and Safety Officer and Business Support to equip them with the necessary knowledge and skills to manage and maintain the ISO 45001 management system.
- Report to the acting health and safety manager on a weekly base
- Ensure and risk assess the management of construction risks associated with installation and maintenance by contractors not directly under control in properties managed by others.
- Ensure the Company maintains the delivery of current health and safety procedures during the implementation of new management system.
- The job holder will be required to attend board meetings and provide the business with expertise in order to drive items forward.
- Acquiring pre-construction information on each site, getting the pre-construction information to the ‘Designers’, ‘Principal Designers’, ‘Principal Contractors’ and Contractors.
- The job holder will have contact with all sections of the Company, including employees, contractors, members of HSAB (Health and Safety Advisory Board) and Board.
- The job holder will also have contact with a range of external parties, including but not limited to: Suppliers and Contractors, Local authorities, Enforcement Agencies, Trade Associations and other stakeholders
- During any external audits ensure that appropriate preparation has been undertaken and support is to be provided throughout the audit. The job holder would then be responsible for addressing any issues.
- Any other ad hoc duties such as support within internal audits, office H&S audits specific H&S implementation and activities.
Experience and Knowledge: At Gemserv, we take a flexible approach to recruitment. However, preferably for this role the successful candidates will have experience within the successful implementation of ISO 45001 and OHSAS 18001 within a business. In addition, they will be able to prove the following skills, knowledge and experience:
- Good knowledge and experience in implementation of OHSAS 18001, ISO 45001 and Health and Safety at Work Act.
- Formal qualification in Safety discipline or adequate experience in Safety field e.g. NEBOSH (International) General Certificate, or equivalent.
- Good experience working under the CDM Regulations, carrying out previous roles in CDM
- Education to degree level or equivalent
- Experience in developing and maintaining OHSMS audit programmes;
- Experience in writing and maintaining OHSMS documents;
- Knowledge of UK OHS legislative requirements
- Proven experience in building and maintaining Health and Safety Framework for a large organisation.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills, showing attention to detail and focus on quality.
- Ability to prioritise and plan, balancing priorities and deadlines as part of a team.
- Ability to deliver exceptional customer service both in person and remotely.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including fluency in verbal and written English.
- Ability to communicate and review complex issues and risks and provide clear and concise solutions
Skills and Qualities
- To take the lead for ISO 45001 implementation for a key client and ensuring the timely delivery of associated underpinning health and safety action plans.
- To implement an effective health and safety management system to meet ISO 45001 requirements which sets out overall responsibility and accountability for the protection of workers’ work-related health and safety.
- Working with the H&S Advisory Board to develop an appropriate supporting workplace wellbeing programme.
- To oversee consistency of delivery of health and safety and identify and pursue significant issues.
- Experience within either Telecoms, Fibre companies, electricity/water or gas sectors.
Upon employment, employee should also have a sound awareness of the Company's Information, Quality and Environmental Management Systems.
This is a fixed term role for 6months with the possibility for extension.
We are passionate about helping drive the energy market transformation and data revolution. We work right across our sectors, from government bodies to global blue-chip organisations and small independent companies.
The nature of what we do means we are very much a people business. The contribution every member of the team makes to our diverse range of experience, skills and personalities is valued.
We invest heavily in learning and development to enable our people to develop skills and gain experience which will enhance career prospects for life. Many who started their careers with us have rapidly progressed to more senior positions.
At Gemserv no two days are the same, but we believe in a flexible approach to working which we know our employees value. That focus on encouraging a positive work/life balance extends to the many regular social events where employees get the opportunity to meet people from across the business and the wider industry in a more informal environment. We also offer an attractive package of benefits in addition to highly competitive salaries including bonus scheme, pension and healthcare, season ticket loans, discounted gym membership, Cycle to Work scheme and more.
If you can see yourself working at Gemserv, then we would love to hear from you. Please submit your CV and application letter to us.