Head of Data Privacy
Our rapidly growing business offers a dynamic environment for talented, entrepreneurial professionals to achieve results and grow their careers. As the Head of Data Privacy, you will be responsible for supporting the development of the data protection service within our broader Cyber Security and Data Protection practice.
The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the commercial development and growth of data protection service both as independent expert service and as part of our extensive cyber security services. Therefore, a broader understanding of data protection, cyber security compliance and governance will be a key requirement for the successful applicant.
Primarily, you will be responsible for overseeing and leading client accounts across several sectors in line with the relevant data protection laws. More widely, this role will require the successful candidate to work in close partnership with Gemserv's Business Development and Marketing teams to play a leading role in establishing Gemserv as a Thought Leader on privacy topics in trend and positioning new leads for our BD team to develop into commercial opportunities.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Leading the Data Privacy team at Gemserv;
- Developing Gemserv's data protection services offering and propositions by working closely with sector leads to identify opportunities in the market, providing strategic direction, positioning business development opportunities and generating new business opportunities;
- Identifying data protection service capabilities that fit together with wider comprehensive services with the aim to build longer term strategic relationships with clients by including, cybersecurity, digital transformation, and data analytics;
- Working closely with the Marketing team to set direction for privacy brand building based on latest trends;
- Being on top of key trends in the privacy industry and express informed opinions on key issues by aligning with Marketing strategy in the form of Thought Leader Papers and blogs;
- Speaking at targeted events with the aim to raise the profile of Gemserv and the Practice in the public sphere and promoting awareness; networking at events;
- Overseeing and leading key client accounts by providing strategic support to the client and direction to staff;
- Advising clients on a wide range of complex privacy, data protection compliance and ePrivacy matters as a trusted advisor, such as privacy challenges related to Big Data and AI, Representative, international transfers, certifications, processing of special category of data while leaving simpler matters to other staff members;
- Ensuring that the team’s knowledge base is up to date especially in relation to recent legal developments, new technologies and case laws and skills are reviewed constantly with the aim to achieve company strategic growth.
The successful candidate will:
- Have solid and proven experience (minimum 5 years) within relevant data protection, privacy and cybersecurity laws and standards at UK, EU and global level;
- Be a strong speaker and influencer with the ability to shape our privacy services and create interest;
- Be a well-connected individual;
- Have proven ability to efficiently understand client organisations and their business model and provide be-spoke services;
- Understand the sales cycle and be able to position and generate new service opportunities in dialogue with existing and new clients;
- Have experience of cooperating with Supervisory Authorities;
- Have proven technical expertise and experience in compliance, risk management, corporate governance or legal or regulatory issues;
- Be able to lead and manage the day to day aspects of engagement activities and an ability to work with clients as an SME;
- Have the confidence to build and maintain positive relationships with senior stakeholders within the business/at client end and across teams within the business;
- Demonstrate inclusive leadership and have line management experience including coaching, motivating, developing and creating a high performing team;
- Have experience preparing and delivering Board level presentations;
- Demonstrate a keen interest in (and business acumen for) growing the team through solid stakeholder and client engagement, leads nurturing and development;
- Possess conflict management skills;
- Possess good organisation and planning skills;
- Manage stakeholders' expectations effectively;
- Have experience in a consulting and a fast paced working environment;
- Ideally have previous experience of working in professional services;
- Will be a firm decision-maker.
- A degree in law, or a related area to data protection
- Detailed knowledge of the GDPR and the ePrivacy Directive
- A recognised professional data protection certification (CIPP/E, CIPM or CIPT)
- Knowledge and experience in emerging technologies
- Knowledge of the ISO27001 standards
Upon employment, employees should also have a sound awareness of the Company's Information, Quality, Environmental and Energy Management Systems.
WHAT WE OFFER
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- Profit related Bonus (discretionary)
- Reward and recognition schemes
- Flexible working
- Private Bupa healthcare
- Life Assurance (up to 4 times annual salary)
- Matched pension contributions
- Season Ticket Loan
- Cycle to work scheme
- Buy and Sell annual leave
- Reimbursement of eye test and up to £50 towards glasses or contacts
- Corporate gym rates
- Yoga sessions
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Summer and Christmas parties, along with monthly Gembar
We are an expert provider of professional services in a world driven by data and technology. We work across various sectors, from government bodies to global blue-chip organisations and small independent companies.
Due to the nature of what we do, we are a people business. The contribution from every member of the team expands our workforce’s diverse range of experience, skills and personalities – each individually valued.
Gemserv is an equal opportunities employer, we celebrate diversity and are committed to create an inclusive environment for all employees.
We heavily invest in the learning and development opportunities, enabling our people to develop skills and gain experience, which will enhance career prospects for life. Many who started their careers with us have rapidly progressed into more senior positions.
At Gemserv no two days are the same, but we believe in a flexible approach to working which we know our employees’ value. That focus on encouraging a positive work/life balance extends to the many regular social events where employees get the opportunity to meet people from across the business and the wider industry in a more informal environment.
Due to Covid-19 restrictions, employees are currently working from home. Once the economy reopens, travel to client sites is expected (around 30% of your time).
If you feel that you fit the above requirements and would like to hear more about being part of a growing organisation, then we would love to hear from you. Please submit your CV and application letter to us by clicking ‘Apply now’