Head of Consultancy - Energy
Gemserv is an expert provider of professional services, helping clients make the most of a world increasingly driven by data and technology.
Our purpose is to make things that matter work better for everyone. With our clients we:
· Tackle social and environmental challenges
· Improve and simplify the way markets work
· Harness the power of digital transformation
· Ensure data is protected and used ethically
We operate in four sectors: Energy, Health, the Public Sector, and the Private Sector offering professional services enabling the energy market transformation. Using our insight, we work collaboratively with stakeholders to ensure this complex and technology-driven market works for everyone’s benefit.
With an ambition to grow the Energy Consulting team, the primary purpose of this role is to lead a team of expert Energy Consultants delivering high-quality advisory assignments within the Energy sector, to both existing clients and new clients. This will require ensuring that our market offerings remain relevant to the Energy industry, that Consultants maintain the appropriate expertise and skills to meet those needs and that the team is sized appropriately to the level of demand.
This role also requires engaging in client-facing work, supporting the ethos of service excellence and team development which is important to Gemserv.
- Develop and shape go-to-market propositions for advisory services within the Energy sector which are complementary to Gemserv’s capabilities;
- Ensure existing clients continue to be supported as required by the Consultancy team;
- Grow the externally facing advisory service, building Gemserv’s reputation as a strategic partner in its chosen fields;
- Undertake client assignments, providing subject matter expertise to clients and supporting them in their business ambitions;
- Effective management of the Consultancy Team, including activities such as demand management and utilisation, financial and operational reporting, and so on;
- Support the team to develop and enhance their skills and capability and engender a spirit of innovation and empowerment.
- Apply deep Energy industry knowledge and insight into a range of consultancy assignments typically relating to:
- Smart Metering, Regulatory Code Governance, Market Design and Assurance, and Risk management
- Energy Supplier or other market participant business operations and regulatory compliance
- Provide insight and expertise into Consultation Responses and Thought Leadership publications;
- Identify opportunities for additional client services and Consultancy growth and support Energy business development activities such as drafting tender responses and providing technical input;
- Build strong, strategic relationships with clients and build a strong network of industry stakeholders;
- Keep appraised of and apply best practice methodologies to the delivery of assignments;
- Coach team members and share best practice with other Consultancy colleagues and senior individuals across the business.
- Develop and maintain a team with the appropriate skills and expertise to respond to client and potential client needs;
- Support and encourage personal development, competencies, and knowledge of team members;
- Ensure compliance with HR and other company policies, including timely and value-adding staff appraisals and the setting of SMART objectives;
- Provide leadership, direction, advice, and guidance to the consultancy team, maintaining high levels of integrity, motivation, and morale.
- Manage budgets and forecasting for resourcing and utilisation, ensuring financial targets are delivered;
- Provide financial and operational performance updates as required;
- Identifying and manage any risks or issues associated with the delivery of the Consultancy targets and objectives;
- Optimise utilisation and efficient delivery of the Team’s targets; and
- Liaise with Finance, GRC, Resource Management, Client Operations, and other parts of Gemserv as appropriate to ensure the highest standards are met.
Ideally for this role we are looking for candidates to have an interest in, or exposure to, the UK retail utilities industry, preferably electricity, gas or smart metering.
Successful candidates will also need:
Experience and Knowledge
- Strong and demonstrable knowledge of in the Energy Sector in the UK (Global and ROI is desirable but not essential) in such areas as Market Structures, Smart Metering, Regulatory and Governance, Assurance and Risk Management;
- Experience in Energy supplier or other, energy market participant business operations, and understand the challenges and priorities in the current market landscape;
- Consulting experience supported by a demonstrable track record of developing new client propositions and client growth;
- Leadership experience demonstrated through managing, leading, motivating, and inspiring people to give their best performance;
- Resource management and utilisation in a consultancy environment;
- Experience in building and managing strong client and stakeholder relationships, including key internal and external stakeholders; and
- Experience in Thought Leadership in the Energy industry, including hosting and speaking at industry events.
Skills and Qualities
- Able to innovate, bringing new ways of working and propositions to challenge the status quo;
- Organisational and planning skills suitable for working in a high-pressure and deadline-driven environments;
- Ability to effectively communicate with and influence senior stakeholders;
- Ability to articulate ideas and concepts clearly to get buy-in from internal and external stakeholders;
- Demonstrable skills in writing and presenting ideas, findings, and strategies to clients and other key stakeholders;
- Commercially aware and able to commercialise new service propositions, developing services that are in demand from potential clients;
- Able to flex and adapt to changing demands if required; and
- High level of emotional intelligence and a sound understanding of people and team management, able to develop a high performing team.
We are passionate about helping drive market transformation and the data revolution. We work right across our sectors, from government bodies to global blue-chip organisations and small independent companies.
The nature of what we do means we are very much a people business. The contribution every member of the team makes to our diverse range of experience, skills and personalities is valued.
Gemserv is an equal opportunities employer, we celebrate diversity and are committed to create an inclusive environment for all employees.
We invest heavily in learning and development to enable our people to develop skills and gain experience which will enhance career prospects for life. Many who started their careers with us have rapidly progressed to more senior positions.
At Gemserv no two days are the same, but we believe in a flexible approach to working which we know our employees value. That focus on encouraging a positive work/life balance extends to the many regular social events where employees get the opportunity to meet people from across the business and the wider industry in a more informal environment.
If you feel that you fit the above requirements and would like to hear more about being part of a growing organisation, then we would love to hear from you. Please submit your CV and application letter to us by clicking ‘Apply now’