Data Protection Consultant
Are you interested in building a career in privacy and data protection? Do you want to work with talented privacy professionals and a close-knit team?
Our rapidly growing and forward-thinking business offers a dynamic environment for insightful, collaborative, impactful and innovative professionals to thrive and grow their careers.
We are currently looking to appoint a Data Protection Consultant in the Gemserv Cybersecurity and Privacy practice to work with various clients at the heart of multiple sectors to assist them in addressing their data protection challenges and tackle their emerging digital risks with the rise of smart technologies.
Working at Gemserv will be a great opportunity for you to establish yourself in the privacy space and develop your career in dynamic sectors across several jurisdictions. For this role, we are looking for someone who has previous experience in data protection and has had exposure to a consultancy environment.
You will have the ability to analyse complex legal and commercial issues. You will be able to provide effective and straightforward privacy advice. You will prioritise tasks to manage deadlines in a fast-paced environment. You will be a self-motivated person, team player with the ability to work autonomously and under the supervision of your senior colleagues, as and when required. You will be someone who enjoys client facing work.
- You will provide consultancy support to our clients by advising on a wide range of privacy and data protection issues.
- You will support clients in implementing data protection at an operational level, including but not limited to:
- Developing and implementing data protection related policies;
- Undertaking Data Protection Impact Assessments and third-party risk assessments;
- Reviewing and updating relevant agreements (e.g., data sharing arrangements, controller-processor contracts) in line with a wide range of global legislations, including the GDPR and the CCPA;
- Delivery of trainings and technical workshops;
- Implementation of appropriate safeguards for international transfers;
- Implementation of ePrivacy rules, especially around cookies and other tracking technologies.
- As part of Gemserv’s Virtual/Outsourced Data Protection Officer Service, you will support organisations in relation to security breach management, investigations and complaints, requests from data subjects.
- You will be able to assist the team in the development of sales proposal and bids.
- You will work closely with the Marketing team to develop external publications (blogs, articles) on topics of key interest to clients and you will attend key events on data protection with a view to promote our services.
- You will support the team with privacy horizon scanning and production of client newsletters.
Experience and Knowledge
The successful candidate will:
- Have proven working experience (minimum 2 years) with relevant data protection laws at the UK, US and EU level (required).
- Have a keen interest in privacy and data protection at a global level (required).
- Have some experience in communicating and cooperating with supervisory authorities (desirable).
- Be keen to learn and keep abreast of regulatory changes in a dynamic environment and have genuine interest in building their career in privacy(required).
- Be confident to build and maintain positive relationships with clients and stakeholders within the business (required).
- Possess strong communication and presentation skills, both written and spoken (required).
- Ideally have some exposure to client facing work, either in a law firm or consultancy environment (required).
Skills and Qualities
- A degree in information technology, law or a relevant field that demonstrates knowledge, interest and passion in data protection
- You will actively seek to develop your knowledge in technical areas.
- You will be proactive, a ‘hands on’ starter finisher, high achiever, and results-driven individual.
- You will be highly organised and able to manage and prioritise your workload.
- You will be a problem solver with high attention to detail.
- You will have excellent interpersonal and team playing skills with the ability to work effectively and collaboratively with different members of a wide and multicultural team.
- You will be adaptable in your own communication style to strengthen relationships with various internal and external stakeholders.
- You will actively seek and implement feedback from senior colleagues for self-improvement.
- Practical experience in using privacy tools is desirable.
- Professional qualification in data protection is desirable (for example, CIPP/E or equivalent certification)
- Project management skills are desirable.
Travel Requirements: approx. 30% of your time
Upon employment, employees should also have a sound awareness of the Company's Information, Quality, Environmental and Energy Management Systems.
WHAT WE OFFER
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- Profit related Bonus (discretionary)
- Reward and recognition schemes
- Flexible working
- Private Bupa healthcare
- Life Assurance (up to 4 times annual salary)
- Matched pension contributions
- Season Ticket Loan
- Cycle to work scheme
- Buy and Sell annual leave
- Reimbursement of eye test and up to £50 towards glasses or contacts
- Corporate gym rates
- Yoga sessions
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Summer and Christmas parties, along with monthly Gembar
- Support for IAPP certifications
We are an expert provider of professional services in a world driven by data and technology. We work across various sectors, from government bodies to global blue-chip organisations and small independent companies.
Due to the nature of what we do, we are a people business. The contribution from every member of the team expands our workforce’s diverse range of experience, skills and personalities – each individually valued.
Gemserv is an equal opportunities employer, we celebrate diversity and are committed to create an inclusive environment for all employees.
We heavily invest in the learning and development opportunities, enabling our people to develop skills and gain experience, which will enhance career prospects for life. Many who started their careers with us have rapidly progressed into more senior positions.
At Gemserv no two days are the same, but we believe in a flexible approach to working which we know our employees’ value. That focus on encouraging a positive work/life balance extends to the many regular social events where employees get the opportunity to meet people from across the business and the wider industry in a more informal environment.
Due to Covid-19 restrictions, employees are currently working from home.
If you can see yourself working at Gemserv, then we would love to hear from you. Please submit your CV and application to us by clicking ‘Apply now’