Data Protection Consultant
Are you interested in building a career in privacy? Do you want to work with experienced and talented privacy professionals and a close-knit team? Do you want to benefit from a healthy work/life balance and join a company which promotes flexible working?
Our rapidly-growing business offers a dynamic environment for insightful, collaborative, impactful and innovative professionals to thrive and grow their careers.
We are currently looking to appoint a Data Protection Consultant in the Gemserv Cybersecurity and Privacy practice to work with clients at the heart of multiple sectors to assist them in addressing their privacy and data protection challenges and tackle their emerging digital risks with the rise of smart technologies.
Working at Gemserv will be a great opportunity for you to establish yourself in the privacy space and develop your career in dynamic sectors. For this role we are looking for candidates who are looking to take the next step in their career and have already gained relevant experience in privacy, data protection and client advice.
The successful candidate will have the ability to analyse complex legal and commercial issues and be able to provide effective and straightforward privacy advice. You will prioritise tasks to manage deadlines and be a self-motivated, team player with the ability to work autonomously.
As part of Gemserv Data Protection Team, you will be responsible to provide high profile privacy and data protection advice to a wide range of clients in various industries.
- Providing consultancy support to our clients by advising on a wide range of privacy and data protection issues;
- Supporting client in implementing data protection at an operational level, including but not limited to:
Developing and implementing privacy notices
- Reviewing and updating relevant agreements (e.g., data sharing arrangements, controller-processor contracts) in line with a wide range of global legislations, such as the GDPR and the CCPA (for instance)
- Delivery of trainings and technical workshops
- Implementation of appropriate safeguards for international transfers, with a focus on Brexit
- Being able to advise organisations on the implementation of ePrivacy rules, especially around cookies and other tracking technologies
As part of Gemserv’s Virtual/Outsourced Data Protection Officer Service, supporting organisations in relation to security breach management, investigations and complaints, requests from data subjects;
Being able to provide support to the business development team in the development of sales proposal and bids;
Supporting on external publications on topics of interest as well as attending key events on data protection and cybersecurity with a view to promote our services.
Experience and Knowledge
Ideally, we are looking for candidates to have experience of or interest in the UK retail utilities industry, preferably electricity, gas or smart metering.
Upon employment, employees should also have a sound awareness of the Company's Information, Quality, Environmental and Energy Management Systems.
The successful candidate will:
- Have a proven working experience (minimum 1 year) with relevant data protection, privacy laws at the UK and EU level and a keen interest in privacy and data protection at a global level;
- Have some experience in communicating and cooperating with supervisory authorities;
- Be keen to learn and keep abreast of regulatory changes;
- Have the confidence to build and maintain positive relationships with clients and stakeholders within the business;
- Possess strong communication and presentation skills, both written and spoken;
- Have some previous exposure to client advice (law firm or consulting).
Skills and Qualities
- A degree in private law from a UK or European university;
- CIPP/E or equivalent certification is desirable;
- Actively seeks to develop own expertise in technical areas;
- Proactive, ‘hands on’ starter finisher, high achiever, and results-driven individual;
- Highly organised and able to manage and prioritise workload;
- Practical experience using Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and privacy tools
- Problem solver with high attention to detail;
- Excellent interpersonal and team playing skills with the ability to work effectively and collaboratively with different members of a wide and multicultural team;
- Confident client facing and personable;
- Adaptable in own communication style to strengthen relationships with stakeholders;
- Actively seeks feedback from senior colleagues and implements feedback for self-improvement.
Upon employment, employee should also have a sound awareness of the Company's Information, Quality, Environmental and Management Systems along with understanding of Gemserv compliance with GDPR and UK Data Protection Act 2018.
We are passionate about helping drive the energy market transformation and data revolution. We work right across our sectors, from government bodies to global blue-chip organisations and small independent companies.
The nature of what we do means we are very much a people business. The contribution every member of the team makes to our diverse range of experience, skills and personalities is valued.
We invest heavily in learning and development to enable our people to develop skills and gain experience which will enhance career prospects for life. Many who started their careers with us have rapidly progressed to more senior positions.
At Gemserv no two days are the same, but we believe in a flexible approach to working which we know our employees value. That focus on encouraging a positive work/life balance extends to the many regular social events where employees get the opportunity to meet people from across the business and the wider industry in a more informal environment. We also offer an attractive package of benefits in addition to highly competitive salaries including bonus scheme, pension and healthcare, season ticket loans, discounted gym membership, Cycle to Work scheme and more.
If you can see yourself working at Gemserv, then we would love to hear from you. Please submit your CV and application to us by clicking ‘Apply now’