Consultant / Senior Consultant - Strategy Team
Gemserv has experienced significant growth in recent years, winning new contracts and seeing our role on existing ones extended. We have ambitious plans for the future and are now looking to strengthen our Strategy team by employing a Consultant or Senior Consultant.
Gemserv is an expert provider of professional services in a world driven by data and technology. We provide high quality consultancy and outsourcing services to clients across energy, utilities, public, and other sectors. We believe in ‘Profit with Purpose’, combining commercial disciplines with our desire to achieve a positive social and environmental impact.
Gemserv’s external markets are undergoing transformational change. The environmental and climate change emergency, advances in technology, proliferation of data and changing consumer demands are driving new and disruptive business models. Gemserv is playing a leading role in this market change, for example through our work to modernise governance across the energy sector, supporting the uptake of electric vehicles, and through our role in the smart meter roll out. We are also helping organisations protect peoples’ data through our information security and wider data governance work, and to drive better consumer outcomes through our digital transformation services.
Working at Gemserv provides a great opportunity to develop your career in one of the economy’s most dynamic sectors and for this role we’re looking for candidates who have gained experience within a regulated industry and are now looking to take the next step.
Against this background, we are seeking a Consultant / Senior Consultant to join the Strategy Team to help influence and shape our future; to identify opportunities for Gemserv; and to help tackle competitive pressures influencing the business.
This is largely an external facing role that involves critically assessing and modelling external markets and competitive opportunities to influence and shape the Gemserv Strategy. As such, while based at Gemserv’s London City office, there may be some traveling involved in order to attend key meetings, to influence change and deliver positive outcomes. This could involve attending external events to gather intelligence or contribute to debates.
In addition, responsibilities extend to line management; providing mentoring and support to more junior staff; leading on key pieces of work; and undertaking briefings to senior management.
- Help shape Gemserv’s strategic direction and develop thought leadership pieces;
- Undertake and lead on opportunity assessments to identify new value propositions for Gemserv;
- Shape ideas that help develop business opportunities;
- Identify opportunities and own/manage the transition of the concept into a viable revenue stream (e.g. business plan creation and implementation);
- Perform market research and produce documents and articles that are compelling and communicate complex issues and ideas, simply and effectively;
- Represent Gemserv at external fora and events, conferences and seminars to gather market intelligence (this includes presenting at external conferences);
- Support other Gemserv departments on a consultancy basis assignment from time to time;
- Deliver presentations to internal stakeholders, including the Senior Management Team and the Executive Team;
- Take on a leadership role for strategic work/projects, e.g. project management or workstream lead;
- Report to the Head of Strategy to help shape/deliver the Departmental Plan;
- Line management of 1 staff member.
For this role, we are interested to hear from people who have experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Growth strategy development;
- M&A / Corporate development;
- Market design and governance;
- Translating market trends into business opportunities;
- Transitioning opportunities into revenue streams;
- Data analytics and modelling;
- Economic and statistical analysis.
Combined with experience in, or a keen interest to learn about, one or more of the following areas:
- Smart energy;
- Market-based environmental schemes;
- Data protection and information security;
- Healthcare and public sector;
- Internet of Things;
- Electric vehicles, smart grids and smart cities.
Successful candidates will have demonstrable skills that include the following:
- Networking skills: have a credible, externally focused, stakeholder track record that they can bring to bear within critical debates to help shape the future business/commercial landscape;
- Communication skills: communicate complex ideas in a succinct and compelling manner;
- Influencing and persuading skills: coordinate various audiences, using sound reason-based judgements, delivered in a manner that is sensitive to political and commercial interests;
- Critical assessment skills: analytical capability;
- Business acumen: commercially astute, can interpret financial statements and understands company constructs (for example: roles of Board, Executive, Charity);
- Financial modelling capability: cost/benefit analysis, preparation of business cases;
- Management abilities: coordinating outputs, stakeholder management, line management.
Successful candidates will have personal qualities/personality traits that include the following:
- Shows intellectual curiosity and innovative thinking, has a passion for innovation and appreciation of disruptive technologies, has an interest in market developments and trends;
- Inspires colleagues and peers to be at their best, while taking responsibility to ensure an optimal outcome when performing under conditions of ambiguity and uncertainty;
- Takes initiative, operate under their own steam;
- Quick learner: grasp new concepts quickly and translate these into actions which they then own or assign;
- Team player: passionate about making a positive difference in the markets we operate and encouraging an open and supportive working environment.
Please provide evidence of how you meet the skills and experience requirements of the role in your application.
We are passionate about helping drive the energy market transformation and data revolution. We work right across our sectors, from government bodies to global blue-chip organisations and small independent companies.
The nature of what we do means we are very much a people business. The contribution every member of the team makes to our diverse range of experience, skills and personalities is valued.
We invest heavily in learning and development to enable our people to develop skills and gain experience which will enhance career prospects for life. Many who started their careers with us have rapidly progressed to more senior positions.
At Gemserv no two days are the same, but we believe in a flexible approach to working which we know our employees value. That focus on encouraging a positive work/life balance extends to the many regular social events where employees get the opportunity to meet people from across the business and the wider industry in a more informal environment. We also offer an attractive package of benefits in addition to highly competitive salaries including bonus scheme, pension and healthcare, season ticket loans, discounted gym membership, Cycle to Work scheme and more.
If you can see yourself working at Gemserv, then we would love to hear from you. Please submit your CV and application to us by clicking ‘Apply now’