Client Accountant (Fixed Term Contract - 12 months)
Are you looking to develop your career and become a key employee in a rapidly expanding and dynamic organisation? Do you want the responsibility and accountability to be able to demonstrate your abilities on some of the most high-profile projects taking place across the wider energy sector?
Gemserv has experienced significant growth in recent years, winning new contracts and seeing our role on existing ones extended. We have ambitious plans for the future and are now looking to strengthen our finance team by employing a part qualified accountant to assist us with managing the financial reporting obligations on some of our key contracts.
Working at Gemserv provides a great opportunity to develop your career in one of the economy’s most dynamic sectors and for this role we’re looking for candidates who have gained experience within a regulated industry and are now looking to take the next step.
An exciting new opportunity has been created within the Gemserv finance team as a result of a departure within the team and the continuing growth within the Gemserv Group. We are looking for a part qualified accountant with a minimum of 2 years’ experience of accounts preparation. The role will be responsible for managing all aspects of the financial responsibilities for some of the Group’s key clients. The role will include Board exposure each month in the form of presenting the monthly management accounts and providing a wider financial update. The candidate will work closely with client delivery teams on several group reporting tasks and other key processes.
We are currently recruiting for a client accountant to join the Company's Finance team to support in delivering the financial elements of key contracts, this role reports directly into the Financial Controller. The candidate should have a strong track record of supporting the finance function to deliver high quality financial reporting.
The candidate will be part ACA/ACCA/CIMA qualified with and be able to demonstrate a track record of success in the preparation of month end deliverables. The role is very broad, requiring a good understanding of technical accounting as well as the ability to develop and maintain simple financial models used to assist in key processes.
Upon employment, employee should also have a sound awareness of the Company's Information, Quality, Environmental and Management Systems along with understanding of Gemserv compliance with GDPR and UK Data Protection Act 2018.
- Work closely with internal and external stakeholders to ensure timely and accurate monthly management accounts are prepared.
- Liaise with client contract managers to update forecasts whilst identifying the key drivers that influence the outturn.
- Build and maintain relationship with management the Board and the bank.
- Ensure debt collection processes are followed to facilitate monthly updates to the Board.
- Support month end payroll processes collaborating with HR and the outsourced payroll provider.
- Support the preparation and submission of quarterly VAT returns.
- Support the annual budgeting process and managing the flow of information to the Board.
- Prepare year-end financial statements in accordance with FRS102 accounting standards and lead on the annual external audit.
- Ensure robust financial controls are in place and strictly adhered to, in accordance with information security and quality protocols.
Ideally, we are looking for candidates to have experience of or interest in the UK retail utilities industry, preferably electricity, gas or smart metering.
Successful candidates will also need:
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience of working in commercial finance teams with responsibilities which have included the preparation of simple management accounts
- Evidence of either achieving part qualified status or having completed at least 3 exams towards a recognised accountancy qualification, either ACA/ACCA/CIMA
- To be a proactive self-starter willing to take accountability and responsibility for deliverables
- Good verbal and written skills, capable of communicating financial and non-financial information in an effective and impactful manner
- A demonstrable history of using financial software packages; Unit 4 (Agresso / Business World) would be an advantage but not essential
- A working knowledge and understanding of VAT and Corporation tax rules
- Strong Excel skills and knowledge of financial processes
We are passionate about helping drive the energy market transformation and data revolution. We work right across our sectors, from government bodies to global blue-chip organisations and small independent companies.
The nature of what we do means we are very much a people business. The contribution every member of the team makes to our diverse range of experience, skills and personalities is valued.
We invest heavily in learning and development to enable our people to develop skills and gain experience which will enhance career prospects for life. Many who started their careers with us have rapidly progressed to more senior positions.
At Gemserv no two days are the same, but we believe in a flexible approach to working which we know our employees value. That focus on encouraging a positive work/life balance extends to the many regular social events where employees get the opportunity to meet people from across the business and the wider industry in a more informal environment. We also offer an attractive package of benefits in addition to highly competitive salaries including bonus scheme, pension and healthcare, season ticket loans, discounted gym membership, Cycle to Work scheme and more.
If you can see yourself working at Gemserv, then we would love to hear from you. Please submit your CV and application to us by clicking ‘Apply now’